Thursday 14 June 2007

Age changes

1 week till I turn 30. 1 week.

After my two week wobble concerning this occasion, I am glad to report that I am indeed very fine about this now. Very fine. I am muchly embracing my elderly-ness and looking forward to some hedonism and the odd present, if you will.

As I was lying in bed last night, trying to sleep, I was going through all my birthdays from age 16, seeing if I could remember them. It seems I cannot.

16 was rubbish - a BBQ held by my father as he shared the exact same birthday as myself. I was allowed some friends but it all ended very badly.

At 17, my parents towed the caravan up to Derbyshire and let us run riot for a weekend. We got into trouble for making too much noise - standard - took LSD and gatecrashed a 2CV rally.

18 was a meal out with friends....unremarkable apart from the coming of age factor.

19 was spent in Surfer's paradise in Oz. I got my nose pierced and ended the evening rowing with my best friend. I called her Miss. Perfect and she 'insulted' me by retorting with Miss. Pierced Nose. Imaginative.

20 was my first year at Uni. As with most of my first year, I can't remember anything.

21 was spent in Blackpool in a B and B. I had lots of silly tasks to complete including the essential snog-a-minger and skinny dipping in the sea. Nice. I also celebrated this one in the South of France.

22....no idea but probably the South of France again.

23 was watching England play football against someone for the world cup.

24 was at a joint held party in Golfe Juan. Very messy.

25 was spent in Capri on a boat, working. I think it ended in an argument between the chief stewardess and the bosun.

26 was one of my very favouritist. Lots of presents, lots of friends, lots or revelry and drunken debauchery. The Tequila bar and Xtreme cafe featured.

27 was the one where I was supposed to be at a friends wedding. I had my polka dot dress and everything. Unfortunately the boss came down and I had to work. Boo. Oh yes, and my now ex-boyfriend lied about what he was doing and didn't come and see me when he could have. A bad one.

28 was spent at Cafe Brun in Biot. A random selection of friends and ended messily.

29 was last year. Not my favourite at all. It was the first birthday spent without Dad, who passed away on Valentine's Day last year. As we shared the birthday, it was weird not being able to call him up in the morning and sing 'Happy birthday' to each other down the phone. I also had just come out of a long term relationship and it was lonely waking up by myself. There was definitely some tears as I opened cards, then some drunkenness at the Lincoln pub.

And that brings me to 30. I am full of hope for this one. It will involve some camping, some drinking and some silly behaviour I hope.

Bring it on.

No comments: