Wednesday 25 July 2007

Sogging

I woke up at 5.30am this morning to the sound of water. I silently congratulated myself on the 5 1/2 hours of solid sleep I had had and then snuggled down (not strictly true as the temperature is so hot at the moment that one only needs a sheet and I'm sure snuggling is strictly reserved for winter and duvets...) to try and get some more.
After several minutes I realised that was a very long wee my guest seemed to be having, and eventually got up to see if she was setting some kind of world record I should be aware of.

Except the running water wasn't coming from her but the ceiling.

I knocked on my neighbours door above to no avail but heard the sound of running water.
I eventually roused my next door neighbour with the spare keys and we entered the soggy apartment, which was swimming under a good inch of water. Over 70 square metres, that is a significant amount of wet.

When he started to bail the water into a bucket with a dustpan I, as any good neighbour would, trudged downstairs to get similar equipment.

An hour later, the worst of it was up and we opened up the apartment to let the rest dry out. The owners have a 1000 mile drive to cut their holiday short today.

I, on the other hand, will need to replace all my shoes which were underneath the leak. It is never a chore to replace one's shoes.....I'm not so sure they'll feel the same about their Persian rugs.

No comments: