Monday 16 July 2007

We are family

The weekend was spent in Birmingham, where I am from. Every year we have a big family BBQ and last year this coincided with Father's Day and the scattering of my Dad's ashes.

I went and had a chat with him and the tree that he now is. Lovely but bizarre all the same.
I wasn't sure if I was supposed to feel anything or not. The only thing that came flooding to me was great memories which made me smile and my eyes slightly leak simultaneously.

The BBQ was a great success and we got smashed as is the norm. Drunk uncles, cousins and a sister.

My cousin's husband is always enquiring after our love lives, or lack of. Now with my sister having a chap for the first time in an age, it was me in the firing line. How come I haven't got a man yet?

It's actually a question I get asked all the time and I never know what to answer. 'Um...because I'm incapable??'

He is also the same guy who commented last year that I looked like a bit of a crisp eater....charmed. This year it was backed up with 'See you at the carvery tomorrow, I know you'll be there where there is food involved'.

Family. Always a pleasure, never a chore.

No comments: